I’m a bit behind in posting pictures. I did this fish with just blue ink and water. I was experimenting with doing panels that weren’t touching, letting them completely dry, then filling in the panels in between so I could get everything touching.
Started with a sketch on 300gsm watercolour paper.
Filled out the body first. I found that when I dragged ink from the top it spread down, but then when I went to drag ink along the bottom rather than blending with the gradient coming down, it pushed it back so I ended up with a tide line. So it took a bit of moving the ink around in the water to minimise the tide lines. I then added the spots once things were mostly dry.